Functional Safety for the Process Industry Sector
IEC has published a new edition of the standard series IEC 61511 Functional safety - Safety instrumented systems for the process industry sector. As soon as CENELEC publishes the corresponding European EN standards, the standards will also be published in Finnish. The Finnish translation of the first part is likely to be published late in 2016. IEC 61511-1 is based on the primary standard series IEC 61508 Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems, but it has been tailored specifically to the needs of the process industry sector.
The crucial changes to the previous edition are as follows:
- The emphasis is now on the requirements of application programming, where earlier the focus was only on the software requirements
- The requirements of the evaluation of functional safety are laid out in more detail
- The requirements of managing change have been enhanced
- The information security risks are more of a focus
- The requirements for using operating systems and basic automation systems as a protective layer have been enhanced
- The fault tolerance requirements of the equipment have been changed
The Finnish translations of parts 2 and 3 are going to be published
little later. In part 2 there are practical design examples to act as guidance
on how to apply part 1, and part 3 deals with the determination of the required
safety integrity levels.
Further information on the subject from Jukka Alve.
Back to Newsletter 2-16